I am a professor for information security and networks at Worms University of Applied Sciences and also affiliated with Fraunhofer FKIE (Bonn) and Cleopa (near Berlin). I received my PhD in 2013 from the University of Hagen. Aged 17, I started writing books (sold ~60,000 printed+electronic copies so far and counted 30,000 free downloads of my older editions). A list of my ~100 publications can be found here. There is also a list of selected talks.
My research primarily involves network information hiding (network covert channels and network steganography). However, I also work on building automation/smart building security, human aspects of information security, and information security terminology / taxonomy.
Some of my key publications are on information hiding taxonomy/patterns , creativity evaluation in infosec , information hiding methodology , traffic normalization/wardens [4, 5] and covert channel optimization [6, 7].
I am a member of several steering committees, initiatives, program and organizing committees (cf. details). I am (or was) lecturing and supervising at Augsburg University of Applied Sciences, Bonn University and Hagen University. A list of my projects, both funded and spare-time software projects, is also available.
In addition to computer science, I am interested in university history, campus novels and long-distance running.
Find (information about) me here: Twitter, Google Scholar, ResearchGate, Mendeley, DBLP, PubZone, SciPort RLP, Academia.edu, SemanticScholar and CCSB.
Contact: steffen (at) wendzel (dot) de (PGP pub key: 0xC58EB736).
Recent News (Selection):
- One paper (`Inter-protocol Steganography for Real-time Services and Its Detection Using Traffic Coloring Approach') was accepted at the 42th IEEE LCN.
- A review that I wrote for ACM Computing Reviews was published in Vol. 58(1), p. 49, 2017.
- Three newspapers and Internet of Business report about stuff I did
- Our book chapter on Security of Smart Buildings got published by Wiley.
- I presented two papers remotely at the IEEE S&P BioSTAR workshop (cf. publications).
- A new interview with me for Fraunhofer myTalent was published today.
- A new paper (open access) on Information Hiding and Science 2.0 was just published today.
- I am now an editorial board member of the Journal of Universal Computer Science (J.UCS), which is open access since 1995.
- I contributed an update to the OpenBSD pscan port that I maintain.
- Apr-05-2017: New article of W. Mazurczyk and me has been accepted at Communications of the ACM